In 1989, 1991, and 1993, I gave birth to Grace, Katie, and Michael respectively. What an awesome responsibility, what a privilege, and what a joy to love and be loved by these three dear ones. Last week, I sat down, read and reflected upon a gift that my children had given me almost 9 years ago, which would have made them 12, 13, and 15 years old. I’m going to share the entire text here because not only was the present their written words to me but they put these words in a gorgeous frame for me to hang on the wall. After I read it, I decided to hang it on the wall. Here it is:
Twenty reasons we are grateful to have you as our Mum
1. You love Jesus. Seeing you do your quiet time and live out your life for Jesus is a beautiful example to us of how to be a Godly human being.
2. You have an adventurous spirit.
3. You are honest. When you tell us something, we know you mean it and that gives us a true sense of identity and security.
4. You die to yourself daily. Out of all the thousands of things you could have done with your life you chose to stay home and give your life to us. You can’t know how grateful we are for this.
5. You exhibit your love to us. By taking the time to read to us, and just spend time with us you show us more than words ever could how much you love us.
6. You ‘fes up when you’ve done something wrong. Admitting your’ve messed up stops resentments from breaking apart our family, and shows us what we should do when we ourselves have done something wrong.
7. You are willing to make sacrifices to make us happy.
8. You cook for us (something that we really love – even if we have to eat beans once in a while).
9. You are patient with us. You listen to our problems, you let us come to you with everything – even at the times when it’s inconvenient.
10. You aren’t too “old” to have fun with us and/or our friends.
11. You not only support everything that Dad does, you embrace it.
12. You instill in us a spirit of perseverance.
13. You have an infectious laugh that can’t help but make us smile when we hear it.
14. You don’t try to force us to learn things if we’re not ready yet.
15. You are trustworthy. We don’t have any fears about sharing our secrets with you.
16. You give yourself freely to others. We learn from you how to truly be hospitable.
17. You are willing to give hugs a million times a day if we need it.
18. You give “wise council” to us.
19. You put up with our quirks (and boy, do we have a lot of them!).
20. You pray with us and spend time in God’s Word with us all the time.
All these things (and other ones we didn’t mention) would not have been possible without God’s precious grace (and I’m not talking about your firstborn) which pulled you out of the muck and mire and created you anew in Himself. We praise God with you on this the 20th anniversary of one of his many acts of abounding grace and mercy.
We love you.
Love, Grace, Katie, Michael